One of the best things I have learned this week is how to “play with” Powerpoint presentations. I am frequently trying to use Powerpoint presentations in my teaching. This is because most of my students like to “see” the stuff and I believe that Powerpoint presentations save our class time. However, I have never had the feeling of “perfectness” with the presentations I have prepared. When I use them in the classroom, it is OK because I know the correct answers or how to help the students when they do not understand anything about the topic. But my point is that my students generally want those ppt files to study on the topic after the class. I know that these files cannot make good study tools because I have not known how to give feedback through ppt presentation. This week I have learned it. Now I feel that my students can use Powerpoint presentations efficiently while they are studying on their own because I can direct them easily within the presentation to make them see the important points about a topic, and I can give immediate feedback even when I am not with them.
For my project task, I am not currently teaching. So I cannot begin to implement my plan. But I have begun to do some preliminary work for my project. I found someone from the university and he is going to help me with technical aspects of Moodle. This week, we built moodle on a server. And my plan for the next week is to add the students to the site and decide on the content of the “first week” on the moodle. Next week, I have an exam to take related to my Phd, so it seems that I will be very busy with it. But as soon as the exam finishes, I will begin to prepare some content for the Moodle. I am planning to share what I will do in the eight week.
Dear Aysel,
ReplyDeleteYou are completely right about giving feedback through PowerPoint presentations. As you said, I did not also know how to give the students the copy of the slides I used. Applying the interactive tools in ppt and the techniques, I believe I can deliver better instructions in class. By the way, good luck in your exams!